Thursday, January 13, 2011

Thoughts from the past week....

Several things have caught my attention this past week related to the shootings in Arizona, and the topics of violence whether directed at oneself or at another.

One of the first interviews that I heard from Arizona included a comment about a woman who had taken the ammunition clip from the shooter.   I was in a way not surprised that it was a woman who intervened, but did have a specific mental  picture of her as I heard the story.

Last night during President Obama's remarks in Tucson, he mentioned 'petite Patricia' who got the clip away from the gunman, and so my mental picture changed a bit.  Later watching a different news service coverage of the event, I saw a woman (albeit from the back) surrounded by people and waving just after the remark by the President.  The woman I saw appeared to be wearing black clothing, and had short GREY (no not platinum blond) GREY hair.   I thought there is way more to this story than I first believed, and so today have tried to find a picture to confirm my new 'picture' of Petite Patricia Maisch, and her actions.  Here is an interview with her posted on You Tube.

.http://youtu.be/TWmHtuGQgms

I am reminded again of some of the experiences that I've written about here, (The kindness of strangers, Anniversaries) that we never know who our angels or heroes will be, and any of us, as President Obama said, can become one.

I had also written about what to do if one is concerned with the safety of an individual, or oneself, and the need to pass that concern or information along to someone in a position to help.  One way to do so is to contact "Hotlines"   Phone numbers set up for assistance with crisis or possible crisis intervention.

Today there was an article in the local paper today which included the number for one such hotline,  the National Suicide Prevention Hotline,   (800) 273-8255.
                                                            
There is also an Oklahoma State Hotline to prevent violence in schools, 1-877-SAFECALL, 1-877-723-3225 ext. 651 or http://www.oksafecall.com.   I have experience with this hotline, it does work.   When I worked in the schools, we had the number posted visibly many places, and staff frequently reminded students, staff, parents, that if they were concerned about a safety issue, one option was to call the hotline.

Another such number is the Child Abuse Prevention Hotline in Oklahoma 1-800-522-3511.  I also have experience with this one.  In a workshop a former DHS worker mentioned that the calls going to the hotline (at that time, and hopefully still so) were routed directly to a supervisor.


I propose a National Violence Prevention Hotline, and if there is one, much more publicity for it!

We can and must (in my humble opinion) do more to be in safe, caring, respectful community with each other, and to protect each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment