Monday, January 10, 2011

Anniversaries

So yesterday and today we are having our first snow of the season, and last night there were multiple wrecks due to icy bridges mainly, which get slick quickly even when the roads are not.



Several friends have posted or made comments about people getting home safely, and so I was reminded of first one experience, and then a second along those lines.

I think the first came to mind because tomorrow is the anniversary of an odd experience.  One which again teaches the blessing of people, or ? (fill in the blank with who or what you think they are) who magically appear to help one in a difficult situation.

Nine years ago tomorrow, I had gone on foot to the Vet's office with a friend.  She had suggested that we go a ways out of our way to cross a busy city four lane street with a light.   The vet's office was actually at the end of my street, so I typically would cross there, and just take my chances with the traffic.  I thought safety a good plan so agreed.

On the way back, we stopped at the light, and pushed the crossing button.  The light turned green, the walk sign came on and we started across.  About halfway across, I saw a car coming from our right (approaching the red light), and it was coming quickly.  I wasn't sure it was going to stop short of the cross walk where we were so I slowed, kept watching it and said something like "I hope that you stop".

At about the same time, my friend said "Watch Out", grabbed me by the front of my coat and pulled me forward.  I looked over my left shoulder just in time to see a small pick-up truck heading straight for me.  Luckily for me, although I got hit, it was by the mirror and on my shoulder.  The force knocked me to the ground, and my friend helped me up.   The truck pulled into a convenience store parking lot, slowed, and then kept going.

My friend helped me to the same parking lot where I sat down on the sidewalk and tried to figure out, if I was OK and what had just happened.  A large city water truck had been parked across the street, and the crew with that truck came over to see if they could help in any way.

Another man came by who had gotten the tag number of the truck.  My friend who had pulled me to safety, had in addition gotten a description of the truck, the man, and half the tag number.

Someone had called 911, soon a fire engine (first responders) appeared, then an ambulance.   I still was not really making too much sense, and my ankle hurt terribly, and we had no car available, so the ambulance took me (slowly no lights or sirens, thank goodness) to the ER.

Once there when looking at my foot, it appeared that a goose had laid an egg on the side of my foot below my ankle bone, but that was my main injury.   Later I ended up with a bruise the length of my other calf, which matched the tire mark on my shoe and light colored sweat pants I'd been wearing, as well as a nice bruise on my left shoulder from the impact of the mirror.

My friend walked on home, got my purse and came to the ER.   I got sent home with crutches, and one of the currently quite fashionable boots, and ended up dealing with the break in my foot for several months.

Yet there were so many blessings that day!  My friend's actions, which probably did either save  my life, or at least keep me from having very serious injuries.   As a single person dependent  working, and working in a field where I didn't have anyone who could substitute for me, plus doing a job where others depended on me to help, I simply couldn't afford to have been really hurt.

More blessings came from all who stepped forward to help, or who offered comfort, as well as the description of the person and vehicle involved, and who gave their name to the investigating officer, as being willing to give statements or go to court if needed.  Their eye witness accounts and willingness to step up (including the city workers), helped bring the situation to a quick resolution.

The friend who brought me chocolate chip cookies, as well as the many who offered help later, or support.
The investigating officer who kept in close communication with me as to how the situation was progressing regarding the man who was driving the truck that hit me.  The staff in the ER, who were efficient, and kind, even though I was not injured at all seriously.

All these blessings, and so many more that day.

Many lessons to be learned as well.  One was that when such things happen, and I am a witness to the events, I now stay until the police arrive, making sure I'm there to give any needed information and willing to be available if information is needed in the future.

You never know when your opportunity to be someone's angel in disguise may present itself......

No comments:

Post a Comment