Saturday, August 3, 2013

It's been a year????



So my intention when I started the blog (how many bloggers have said or written this I wonder??), was to write something daily or if not daily, weekly...something, anything.......and to let my pictures do the talking if needed.

Somehow it's been almost a year....it's not that I don't think of things to write, or take pictures that would make a good story.   I do think that part of my procrastination (besides that being my middle name) has to do with the world of Facebook, where it is easy for me to write a little something and post a picture or two.

Today I started a Facebook post and thought, hm, that makes a better blog entry than FB post, and here I am.   And here it is:

The oddities of life....I know some people who have lived in the same house for 30 or more years.....I lived in too many places to count between the time I was born and age 3 because we were traveling with a vibroseis crew. Then once we 'settled' in Tulsa, I lived in 4 houses before age 14, then to the lake, then on to college. Once I left home for college til now I've lived in 36 places (no kidding), with 9 since 2007...sigh.....but the odd part is that I am now only a few blocks away from the 2 places that we first lived here after leaving the crew. I started kindergarten living on 50th street, and now live 4 houses from 50th street, a half mile away.....and the majority of my life has been lived within a square mile radius....and within a half mile of the river......


I don't know if any of this has anything to do with the fact that one of my favorite songs growing up was "Don't Fence Me In"...."Give me land, lots of land, under starry skies above, ....don't fence me in"

I  wonder if all that early moving experience acclimated me to the idea of changing addresses frequently.  All I know is that I seem to have moved way more than most of the people I know, especially as an adult.  There are some things in my life that have stood the test of time.  I still go to the church that we started attending when I was 4.

There is also the fact that I have repetitive dreams, and for years they have been about trying to find a place to live.  Sometimes it's a new apartment, sometimes a home, sometimes it's returning to an old home, sometimes it's just a hotel room, but they all have similarities in the search.

I supposed it's also not surprising that another of my childhood favorite songs was, "All I Want Is A Room Somewhere".   Now don't get me wrong as an only child until I was a teenager, I always had 'my own room'.

And it's not about searching for a spiritual home.  As I am fond of saying to people who come to sell their religion at my front door, "I have a church (and thank goodness spiritual, they aren't always the same thing) home as well.

Or if I'm just trying to find the  place that is, Somewhere Over the Rainbow.....

No comments:

Post a Comment