Saturday, August 1, 2009


Today started out like any other, in front of my computer with the patio door open to let in the sounds of nature from outside. Suddenly I heard what sounded like a very small kitten, meowing in the non stop way that kittens do.......as I listened I thought, is that a kitten or a strange bird?


Yet with birds my experience is that they call, and stop, and that the call changes from time to time. This sound was continuous and the same. So outside I went to find the kitten......a neighbor was outside also.......she was puzzled in the same way.....bird or kitten?


We narrowed the sound down to a particular tree, and I remarked that it seemed if it was a bird it would move or fly away with both of us standing there....but the sound continued.......


We moved around the tree trying to get a better look, and finally she said, there it is, it's a bird.....


So some of you may have guessed already what it was......it was a Mockingbird........I've heard many bird calls from Mockers, and even that they may sound like a cat, but this was a ringer for a tiny kitten......a real first for me......

No comments:

Post a Comment